Facebook hiding messages in ‘other’ folder

Surfing through a tech site I follow called Mashable when I found a lot more righteous indignation than usual. We all hate Spam, right? And we control it in email. But do you know where to check your spam folder on Facebook – or that you even had one? Thinking that you never specified anything as Spam? Right – you didn’t. An algorithm is deciding it for you. And you may not like what it decided.

What, Where, How…?

Go to your own home page and click on ‘Messages’ in the left sidebar. Your messages pop up in the main feed, so of course you focus on them. That’s just human nature – they are bright shiny objects, so we look right at them.

But if you do look back at the left sidebar – right under ‘messages’ is a new field ‘Other’. Now click on this.

What you see now may be painful on a couple of levels.

– If you are an individual who received a message / invitation / offer / update that is now expired, you lost out.

- If you are a page owner who made a legitimate fan contact, well you lost out too – your message probably did not get the person you sent it to.

The screen print below shows what I missed. I am super irritated about this as it  damaged relationships I have, whether with people or brands or the people behind the brands.

What did you find in your ‘other’ folder or did you already know about it?

23 replies
  1. Adalberto
    Adalberto says:

This type of service is typically accomplished via” Shared Ride” van or similar vehicle
    and does not allow anybody to lay a hand on it.

Platform lifts are similar to the black boxes record and require their installation in all new vehicles
    starting in 2015. Mechanics and do-it-yourselfers will undoubtedly appreciate
    the simplicity and even smoother features which are very essential when choosing someone
    who is car transport going to be confined to one planet until some eventual
    extinction event.

Also visit my page car shipping (Adalberto)

2. Rose
    Rose says:

I found this folder by accident as well. There wasn’t much in it but there was a message from my son’s girlfriend telling me she was pregnant; now that is something I wish I had seen right away instead of 3 weeks after the fact! It is quite frustrating that Facebook makes all these changes but never informs us of them. I’m glad we have sources like Mashable to help keep us updated.

3. Kathryn Strong
    Kathryn Strong says:

I found this one day quite by accident. My question is how is it determined what messages go into that file folder vs what I usually see? I had a lot of male solicitations that I quickly blocked them from messaging me again. Now that you mention this, I need to check that folder again & do some house cleaning, I’m sure. :) Kathryn

• Anonymous
      Anonymous says:

Kathryn, They have an algorithm. No once can say they know exactly what is in there but it seems that… if the message is form someone you do not know AND you have not commented to and fro on each others posts it will go in there. If the message is form a page and you have not interacted with that page much it will go in there. But with both of these there has been some small level of opt in – you liked the page after all, and the other person took the time to message you directly.

4. Brandy Mychals
    Brandy Mychals says:

I just recently discovered this. My first thought was, “Great” since I can barely get through all the messages that do show up – LOL! Bummer to miss some good ones and yes, there were people I knew in there…tips on how to filter?
    Brandy

• Anonymous
      Anonymous says:

Brandy, I do not know that we can filter, more that we can just be aware that the folder exists and look in there. Once you interact a lot with a person or page their messages should stop going here.

5. Shayla Mihaly
    Shayla Mihaly says:

Well, I had no idea!  Thanks so much.  There were 15 messages in there, non spam, and a few of them were invites that I wondered why I did not receive or was not invited.  While we are at it, “Secret” deodorant continuously spam posts on my wall.  I have reported it many times, but it keep showing up.  Any tips?  Thanks!

• Anonymous
      Anonymous says:

Shayly, Hmm… 2 types of wall – the personal one and the fan page one. I am assuming you mean a fan page wall as pages should not be able to post on your personal wall. If it is a fan page issue, you can ban them form your page.

6. Robbie Schlosser
    Robbie Schlosser says:

Thanks for this “heads up”.  I found lots of old messages, too, and some were definitely NOT spam, but nothing I couldn’t afford to miss.  Still, I wonder how we can control the filter for this inbox.  Any suggestions?

7. Jennifer Peek
    Jennifer Peek says:

Oh man…I can’t even count the messages I found there.  At least one was a JV connection request for my business not to mention several friend request notes.  In scanning through all the others, I wouldn’t have considered any of them spam.  Ugh.

Jennifer Peek
    The Freedom to Build Your Business Your Way

8. Candace C. Davenport
    Candace C. Davenport says:

Funny! I had just discovered and checked my folder probably as you were writing this. I had over 100+ messages dating back to 2010!!! I really only had a limited number that I was concerned about, but enough that I was a bit annoyed at that nebulous algorithm that makes decisions for me. But now i know and am regularly checking. Thanks for confirming!

Candace Davenport
    http://www.ourlittlebooks.com ~ Little Books with a Big Message

9. jstonegoldman
    jstonegoldman says:

I read this post a few days ago when you posted but didn’t comment at the time. I was too busy checking my “other” folder! There was a lot in there, mostly invitations to things. Fortunately, I didn’t miss anything important, but I was shocked to realize all that was in there without me knowing it. This is great information, and I really appreciate the visuals you included to help us find this mystery folder.

Judy Stone-Goldman
    The Reflective Writer
    Personal-Professional Balance Through Writing

10. Julieanne Case
    Julieanne Case says:

I learned about this a while ago but I never thought to look at my page and I wondered why I got emails that said someone posted on my page and I couldn’t find it. It was in the hidden posts on my page which I had never checked. I rescued quite a few posts there today. So thanks for the additional info!

Julieanne Case
    Always from the heart!

Reconnecting you to your Original Blueprint, Your Essence, Your Joy| Healing you from the Inside Out |Reconnective Healing | The Reconnection| AgeLoc Skin Care |  Pharmanex Supplements

11. Cory Zacker
    Cory Zacker says:

Thanks for this tip, Abigail. I never knew this existed! I just looked and found messages from over 2 years ago. Luckily none of them were potential tutoring clients, but now I’ll be sure to check this folder regularly.

12. Irene Turner
    Irene Turner says:

Hi Abigail.
    It’s funny, I’ve been hearing others complain of this as well. I’ve not experienced it myself. But I believe it’s because in my settings for my account I have clicked that I want to receive emails when some one messages me or comments on a post or after a comment I’ve left. And yes, while it can fill my email, because facebook is part of my marketing strategy it does avoid missed messages. I also get them for my business page, up to a point and I wish there was a place to check on my biz page, but that there is not. Good luck to you.

• fed up
      fed up says:

I have an ex who keeps posting messages through my other folder. I keep blocking him and he keeps creating new profiles and messaging me. I want this to stop. Is there any way to disable this folder? It is so creepy.

• admin
        admin says:

You can try this… Top right drop down… Privacy Settings… How you Connect… Change ‘Who can send you messages’ to friends only. Good Luck!

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!